In 2017 Melbourne Hand Surgery conducted a Quality and Improvement project examining the introduction of My Health Record within specialist practice, and aimed to establish the resources and protocols necessary for safe and effective use of the My Health Record at our practice. To assist other Australian specialist practices in introducing My Health Record use to their practice we have made our resources and protocols available for download below subject to a Creative Commons License.
Please note: Melbourne Hand Surgery does not warrant that these resources are free from error or are applicable to your individual circumstances. They were prepared at a specific point in time, based on the legislation, policies and context then applicable. They are provided on an “as is” basis, for information purposes only.
If you decide to use these resources, it is your responsibility to modify and adapt them and ensure their compliance with applicable legislation, regulation and best practice.
Melbourne Hand Surgery takes no responsibility for any loss or damage to any person as a result of you using these resources.
Policies and Procedures
Risk assessment analysis - includes risk log and sample issues log (docx)
Online Training Resources
The Australian Digital Health Agency offers two online self-directed learning resources for staff of specialist practices at My Health Record Online Training. Employees can register their individual account and then login to access the training modules. At the completion of each training module the staff member can download a certificate of completion to provide to their employer.
The module Using the System as Part of Good Patient Care introduces key principles and provides information including the benefits of using the My Health Record, the types of clinical information held in a person's My Health Record, the circumstances under which the My Health Record system will be particularly useful, and consent and how it relates to viewing and uploading information to a person's My Health Record. This module is suitable for administrative staff and healthcare practitioners in specialist practices.
The module Using The System in Specialist Practice includes information on how to view clinical information in the My Health Record system, how to upload information to a patient's My Health Record, and establishing policies and procedures to underpin use of the My Health Record system in specialist practice. This module is suitable for healthcare practitioners in specialist practices.
- Guide to mandatory data breach notification in the PCEHR system - September 2015, Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC, 2015)
- RACGP Computer and Information Security Templates (RACGP)
- AMA Guide to using the PCEHR (2012) (AMA, 2012)
- Maintaining digital health in your practice (ADHA)
- Online registration guide for Healthcare Provider Organisations (ADHA - how to register online for MyHR access)
- What's in it for specialists? (ADHA)
- Putting the My Health Record System into Business (ADHA - details the responsibilities of Responsible Officers and Organisational Maintenance Officers in your organisation)
- Clinician's User Guide (AHDA, 2013)
We acknowledge the support of an Avant Quality Improvement Practice Grant in undertaking this project.